LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Basketball star Kobe Bryant (news) made an unexplained call to 911 emergency services from his California home just hours after returning from Colorado, where a 19-year-old woman had accused him of rape, authorities said on Friday. Reuters Photo AP Photo Slideshow: NBA Star Kobe Bryant Paramedics responding to Bryant's home in Newport Beach in the early morning hours of July 3 treated a woman suffering from an undisclosed ailment, a spokeswoman for the Newport Beach Fire Department told Reuters. Newport Beach police and fire officials declined to elaborate on the incident, which came within a day of Bryant's return from Colorado, where he had been accused of raping a hotel employee at a four-star mountain resort. Bryant is charged with class 3 sexual assault, the equivalent of rape under Colorado law. The 24-year-old Los Angeles Lakers star has denied the accusations and said he had consensual sex with the woman, a student at the University of Northern Colorado. Bryant checked into the Lodge and Spa at Cordillera in Colorado on June 30.

Prosecutors say the assault happened later that night and that the woman reported it the next day. Published reports have said that Bryant flew home to California on July 2 after submitting to an interview by Eagle, Colorado sheriff's detectives and providing DNA samples. A spokesman for the Newport Beach Police Department said Bryant dialed 911 emergency services at 12: 25 a. m. on July 3 from the home he shares with his wife and young daughter, but that the call was quickly disconnected. When dispatchers called back, the spokesman said, they spoke to Bryant, who requested medical assistance for the unidentified woman.

Two other people also spoke to the operator, he said. Fire department spokeswoman Vickie Cleary said that paramedics responded to Bryant's home, in an exclusive gated community, where they "evaluated and treated" the woman. She did not require hospitalization, Cleary said. Bryant's Denver-based attorney, Pamela Mackey, declined to comment when reached by Reuters.

Also on Friday, Colorado's deputy attorney general said that prosecutors across the state were offering to assist Eagle County with manpower and resources in the sensational case. Kenneth Lane said Eagle County District Attorney Mark Hulbert had met with prosecutors from several jurisdictions and the attorney general's office, who all offered assistance in the case that has drawn worldwide interest. Bryant is due back in Colorado on Aug. 6 for his first court appearance in the case, after Eagle County Judge Frederick Gannett denied a defense request that he be allowed to skip the hearing.