The average adult body contains about 10 to 12 pints of blood. Your body continuously replaces its red blood cells, making new ones with iron salvaged from old ones that have died. Blood transports nutrients and defensive antibodies, cells, and clotting factors. Red blood cells deliver or release oxygen. The three main components of blood are plasma, white and red blood cells.

Plasma is a fluid that makes up about 55% of the blood. It is made up of approximately 90% water and the other 10% contains blood pro tiens, glucose, vitamins, minerals, dissolved gases, and waste products. The remaining 45% of blood is composed of blood cells. There are three groups of proteins in the plasma, that help maintain osmotic balance, antibodies and immunity, as well as blood clotting. The first group of proteins is the albumin's, which allow water to be drawn back into the capillaries and help maintain fluid levels in the body.

The second group of proteins is called the globulin's, which help produce antibodies that protect the body against foreign invaders. The third group of proteins is called the fibrinogen, they are an important factor in blood clotting.