I was fourteen when I started taking drama classes at the Renaissance Palace. I was very excited when Laura, the drama teacher, told us about auditions for South Pacific. One day I told my mom I wanted to go to the auditions. She hesitated then said, "You know it will be a lot of work." I told her "I know it will but I really want to audition.

Just to see if I could make it." She finally gave in. I had a lot of work to do to prepare for the auditions. I needed a song to sing. To sing it I had to have the sheet music. At the auditions they split us into groups of ten, they taught us a short dance to perform.

Even though the audition was difficult, it was a lot of fun. I had to wait four excruciating days to hear from Eric, the director. Finally the day came. I came home from school and on the answering machine was a message from Eric. He said "Hey April it is Eric. I am calling in regards to your audition for South Pacific, if you could call me back at 446-5775 ASAP.

Thanks." When I heard that I knew I made the cast. I was so excited. I think from my excitement I started screaming hysterically which by the way I got in trouble for. When I calmed down, I called Leo. He confirmed my belief. I in fact had made the cast.

I was not exactly sure what or even how I was going to do it. All I knew is that the play was something I really wanted to do. We had seven weeks of rehearsals. That seemed like a long time to rehearse. Was I ever wrong which I would soon find out later. The first two weeks were very slow and boring.

All we did for the almost three hour rehearsals was run lines and practice songs. I could not wait till we started to practice the dances and work on blocking. I soon realized there was a method to the madness because with the lines and songs the blocking and dances would not make any sense. Eventually we started the blocking, that is about the time the pace picked up.

Those seven weeks were rough. During the last two weeks tensions flared, everyone was really tired by that time. We all just wanted the nightmare to be over. What we did not know was that all the hard work and bickering with the other cast members would all be worth it in the end. The last week was dress rehearsal. Up to that point I had a blast working with everyone although I was not sure where all the hard work had gotten us.

For the first time in the seven weeks we ran the play from beginning to end with out any stops. I finally saw where all the hard work went. It was all on the stage with us. We had finally pulled it off. The big night finally came. All day long I went over lines, songs, and dances.

I was so nervous by the time it came to leave; I felt sick. When I got to the theater, my nervousness had suppressed. Everyone was feeling the same way I did. By the time the thirty-minute cue finally came we were all in costume and make-up.

The excitement escalated. The time passed by really fast. We all got in a big circle held hands and were lead in a prayer. When we finished the prayer we had two minutes left before the curtain opened.

The last couple of minutes seemed to linger forever. When the play ended, it felt like it had just begun. It went by fast. As we were getting ready for curtain call the crowd was cheering. To hear the audience applauding gives you such an adrenaline rush. It was truly an unbelievable moment.

The night was terrific. I had the best time I have ever had that night. Every single cast member could not wait for the others to come. I soon realized that I never thought you could have so much fun doing so much work; yet it is possible. In being in this play I found out that hard work really does pay off in the end.